Sunday, February 21, 2010

Values


Have your values changed over time?  Do you notice a difference in your values when at different jobs or volunteer positions?

Non negotiable Values: I have always had “making a difference “ as a work value.  It is what I call my non-negotiable value.  I had ONE job that I was good at doing but could not sleep at night when I worked there.  I was working as telephone solicitor and realized I was representing a company that did not make a difference; they just said they did.  It was a powerful experience.

Find a Way Values: When my creativity value is not being met at work, I find myself getting very creative with my cooking.  I have seen this same thing happen for my clients.  I worked with an admin assistant who could type 120 words per minute.  She didn’t place value on her speed, she thought it was much more valuable that her documents looked like works of art.  She kept physically describing how they looked.  Her art/creativity was a find –a –way value.

2nd Best Values: When my leadership or recognition values are not being met (they are secondary in my list), I find myself focusing on advancement through learning and increasing my knowledge.

Have you discovered your “non-negotiable” values? Noticed any “find-a-way” values?  Share your experiences with us.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Campbell Duke said...

Hi Karae,
I LOVE Star Trek and while I have never attended a convention, I did attend the Star Trek Breakfast at Louis' pub at the U of S for too long to mention!

I had the "Captains of Star Trek" calendar pictures posted at the front of my science classroom for the years I had my own classroom.

Elizabeth Campbell Duke said...

Hi Karae!
I LOVE Star Trek! Your posts are Worf-approved: SFW!